Sunday, October 1, 2006

Corn Chowder... And My Imminent Demise

Matt has requested, on behalf of his vegan wife, the recipe for the yummy Vegan Corn Chowder that I mentioned in the last post. So without further ado, here it is!

CREAMY VEGAN CORN CHOWDER

INGREDIENTS:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups water
2 cubes veggie bouillon
3 cups corn, fresh or frozen
6 medium red potatoes, cleaned and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cups soy milk
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and celery; cook until just slightly golden. Stir in carrots and garlic. Cook until garlic is slightly golden.

2. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil over high heat. Stir in bouillon and reduce heat to medium. When bouillon is dissolved add corn, potatoes and the vegetables from the skillet. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Add more water if necessary.

3. Reduce heat to low and pour in 1 cup soy milk. Stir soup well, then stir in remaining 1 cup soy milk. Quickly whisk in flour. Stir in parsley, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until chowder thickens, about 15 to 20 minutes.

NOTES:

-The potatoes could be peeled, but I chose not to. The red skins looked nice with the yellow of the corn and the green of the celery.

-I used 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes which made a pretty hot soup. If you don't like a lot of heat, cut it back to 1/4 tsp. But if you really like heat, kick it up above 1/2 tsp.

I really liked this recipe and if you try, I hope you will as well!


I got news from my Sock Wars 'assassin' ('Hi' to Jaci in Wisconsin!!) that she has finished my socks and they will be sent out soon. I am only about 75% done with my 'target's' socks ('Hi' to Joanna in Texas!) which I'll continue with tonight. In any case, I know that I am ultimately 'dead.' But that's ok, I wasn't in it for the glory...just for the fun, and of course, the consolation prize...a pair of socks! Oh and Don had asked what kind of yarn the socks were made with. Both colors used are Sirdar 'Country Style' DK weight yarn. The shot above is of the progress so far. As you can see from the picture, the instructions for the "International Sock Of Doom" make a sock with a short leg. That isn't something I'd normally chose in a sock, but it was actually a nice feature in a knitting contest!


LISTENING TO: THE DECEMBERISTS - "Castaways And Cutouts"


This band from Portland, Oregon makes catchy pop music that some might think is a little too smart for it's own good. Colin Meloy leads the band through a great album of what could best be described as 'literary pop.' Who else could fit a line like "Medicating in the sun with pinch doses of laudanum, longing for the old fecundity of my homeland." into a modern rock song? Listen to a sample of the lead track from the album, "Leslie Anne Levine" and see what you think!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those socks! Great colors. And talk about stress to knit a pair of socks - this is why I didn't join - I would have been a mess! LOL!

And thanks for the soup recipe - it sounds great!

Anonymous said...

The socks are looking great, and I'm always happy to see another knitter doing socks on two circulars instead of double-points. Not a fan of double-points.

Ken said...

Paul, you're absolutely right about the stress. Though I had resigned myself, right from the beginning, to not even thinking about winning.

Sean, I really like doing socks on two circs now. However I started with DPNs and liked them too. Guess I'm not too hard to please!

Anonymous said...

Circulars, double-points, whatever. Just go to know you're easy...

The chowder recipe sounds good, but alas, my man hates corn. Weird, right?

sko_G knits said...

thanks for sharing this recipe. my boyf is a non-land animal eater, and i LOVE corn chowder. the only problem is the recipe i know how to make has bacon in it. gads!! i'll try your recipe and we can both be happy....=)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I just hought she had a lot of wild recipes! It never occoure to me that she was a veggie!!! I need to send her a card and tell her I love her and I'm sorry!

Nice socks.

Calvin said...

Hey, Ken. I tried your recipe last night and loved it. I did use sodium-free chicken bouillon and skim milk, though. I also made homemade cornbread that was great with it. Take care and I love your blog.

Calvin

Ken said...

Hi Calvin, thanks! Glad you liked the soup!!