Sunday, October 2, 2011

Trip to Pennsylvania and "Daphne and Delilah"

Well, I am back home from a week long visit in PA. Ron and I went down to visit my parents. Our original intention was to be there for the Bloomsburg Fair which is a favorite attraction of mine, ever since I was a kid. Ron has come to like it too and we were both looking forward to it. However mother nature had other plans.




 A few weeks before the fair was to begin the rain started and then the flooding. And Bloomsburg became one of the hardest hit towns in the whole state. At one point twenty five percent of the town was underwater. While it was thought for a while after the flood water started to recede that the fair might still take place, the fair board made the wise decision to cancel. This was, I am fairly sure, the first time in the 157 year history of the fair that it was ever cancelled.




We still made the trip and got to visit family and friends which was great. But we also got to witness the damage that was done. Not only were basements and first floors flooded, but some of the hardest hit houses were actually swept right off their foundations by the force of the water. Some families abandoned their houses altogether while others have started the process of cleaning, repairing and rebuilding. It was really a sad sight to see and I am very thankful that my family was spared.



On a lighter note I got to make a fun present for a co-worker of mine. Well, actually for her daughter. I had been saying for a while that I wanted to make something for her so with her first birthday coming up the time was right. I decided to make her a "Daphne and Delilah" which is a momma and baby monster as designed by Rebecca Danger. My co-worker told me that her daughter's favorite color is yellow, so I made sure to incorporate a lot of it. I actually thought that the baby monster would probably be her favorite since it it all yellow, but she said that she actually carries the momma monster with her most of the time.


 If you take a look at the original pattern on Ravelry or on Rebecca's site, you'll see that both of the monster's have pointier teeth than what I decided on. I just figured that for a one-year old, rounder teeth might look a little more friendly!



Well, I guess I'm off to bed. I have to head back to work tomorrow. While I have a little bit of that end-of-vacation blues I must say that I do really enjoy my work and it will be nice to see my co-workers again (yes, I consider myself to be one of the lucky people who actually has nice co-workers!).

LISTENING TO: Blondie - "Panic Of Girls"


One of Ron's favorite bands is Blondie. I myself have enjoyed a lot of Blondie's hits over the years, but before I met Ron I wasn't one to rush out and buy their albums. The one exception to this is Parallel Lines which was one of their most popular and one that I still really like. However in the five years that Ron and I have been together I have heard a lot more of Blondie than I would have on my own and I've come to like them even more. So we were both excited to hear the new material. The good news is that the new album is quite a nice surprise. The band sounds refreshed, full of energy and ready for the airwaves again, some three decades after they began. The first single off the album is "Mother." I've linked the video below so you can take a listen for yourself. It's hard to believe that Debbie Harry is 65!




1 comment:

stephen said...

'Tis good to read that your family is safe from the flooding in the area. Disappointing to read that the Fair was canceled, but, as you'd stated, it was a wise decision.
Daphne and Delilah are absolutely adorable!